Thursday, March 03, 2005

Mainstream Baptist Convocation 2005 II


John Merritt and me at the Mainstream Baptist Convocation in Atlanta.
Posted by Hello

The highlight of my time in Atlanta was being able to enjoy fellowship with John Merritt. We have known each other for over thirty years having worked together in the European Baptist convention now known as the International Baptist Convention . John is the author of a very important book The Betrayal of Southern Baptist Missionaries by Southern Baptist Leaders. In my opinion this book should be read by every Southern Baptist layperson and pastor. It is a real eye-opener. It should be used as an extra reading book in every school or seminary that teaches missions. The orginal print run has almost sold out but, I understand that, a second print run is due out shortly. It will have a title change. The new title will be: The Betrayal the hostile takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention and a missionary's fight for Freedom in Christ

The second highlight was to also spend time with my eldest daughter who drove over from Samford University to attend the Convocation. The third delight was to visit with Al and Becky Shauf who were members of in Faith Baptist Church Kaiserslautern while I was pastor. They also served at Immanuel Baptist Church in Wiesbaden and were fellow church members with Elizabeth and John Merritt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for providing all of the great links. It was fun seeing you at the Convocation! Maybe there's still hope for Baptists after all ... as for myself, I like the designation: "Free and Faithful Baptist" better than any other.

Bob Ferguson said...

Thank you Angela for your comment. I quite agree that I like "Free and Faithful Baptist" much better than Moderate.